User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Widespread interest in RISC OS in China

Widespread interest in RISC OS in China
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Chris Williams Message #119925, posted by diodesign at 21:21, 31/3/2012, in reply to message #119820
diodesign
The Opposition

For what it's worth, Google's simple analytics tell me drobe.co.uk got 140,000 impressions last month, so there's traffic to be had - although I find that figure to be a bit staggering. It's half the traffic of a good month during the early 2000s.

WRT RaspberryPi, if anything the Chinese are likely to clone the board and produce their own once they get their hands on a compatible or exact SoC. The RPi Foundation has more or less said they expect and, in a way, welcome this to happen.

Whether or not these clones will run RISC OS is another headache.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #119932, posted by bhtooefr at 13:12, 1/4/2012, in reply to message #119923
Well, the RPi isn't designed to multiboot anything really, although one could write a bootloader.

However, it's absurdly simple to swap SD cards, and that's how they recommend changing OSes. Everything is on the SD card, so...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jess hampshire Message #119933, posted by jess at 14:19, 1/4/2012, in reply to message #119932
That's fine for changing the OS you are using if you don't plan to switch on a daily basis.

It would probably be fine for someone who was curious what RISC OS is to give it a try.

But given how limited RISC OS is in certain areas, (ability to use chinese and a fair chunk of websites being the obvious ones) anyone who wanted to use it would be faced with switching OSes possibly several times a day.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #119934, posted by bhtooefr at 16:14, 1/4/2012, in reply to message #119933
Which means that the appropriate option isn't booting it natively, it's somehow coming up with a VM.

Unfortunately, doing a VM without going to full emulation is a pain until the Cortex-A15, IIRC.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #119967, posted by trevj at 19:50, 4/4/2012, in reply to message #119820
The Belgian readers are up there ATM.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #120245, posted by rich at 13:40, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #119879
Rich
Dictator for life
I can't see why you find it so unbelievable that a few hundred people might be googling RISC OS a day in China, on the back of all the excitement in the Pi.
It was a couple of badly behaved Chinese search engine spiders (Baiduspider and JikeSpider) that were basically downloading the entire site multiple times. I've taken steps and they've been blocked from the server, so you should now see the UK as the top country as per usual.

I used to firewall whole Chinese IP blocks whenever we got hacking attempts, but there are a) a lot of them and b) other countries in the middle of those ranges that can get hit by accident - like when I blocked part of New Zealand for a while.

I'd link the image that shows 34% of recent fetches were spider fetches, but like the country image it's dynamically generated.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #120246, posted by rich at 13:48, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #120245
Rich
Dictator for life

Fixed image showing 34% of fetches were spiders.

The system generates a number of other images I won't add here, but the "types" image shows 52% of fetches are browsers, with spiders and "unknown" taking up most of the rest - just 4% were listed as RSS or direct fetches from a "programming language".

"OS" has 46% unknown, 39% Windows, and roughly 5% each for for RISC OS, Linux and Mac. May contain traces of BSD, Sun, Amiga and BeOS.

Of course, all of these can be easily faked if you're using a browser or program that claims to be, e.g., IE on Windows.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #120247, posted by Loris at 14:56, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #120245
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
I used to firewall whole Chinese IP blocks whenever we got hacking attempts, but there are a) a lot of them and b) other countries in the middle of those ranges that can get hit by accident
Just include "June 4" and maybe "Tibetian independence" in simplified Chinese on the pages you wish to hide, and the problem will sort itself.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120259, posted by trevj at 13:28, 2/5/2012, in reply to message #120247
According to the results of Google Insights, use of "risc os" as a search term has been broadly static since the middle of 2009. So if general web traffic has increased, then I guess that represents a proportional decline."[...] relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time." As for the recent local peak, I'd place my bet on it being labelled in the future as "RISC OS on Raspberry Pi" or similar... that or "Wakefield RISC OS Club 29th anniversary"!

[Edited by trevj at 16:03, 2/5/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #120272, posted by flibble at 09:50, 3/5/2012, in reply to message #120259
flibble

According to the results of Google Insights, use of "risc os" as a search term has been broadly static since the middle of 2009.
Trev only you can look at that graph and take the 90% reduction in searches and phrase it as a positive big grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120273, posted by trevj at 11:44, 3/5/2012, in reply to message #120272
Just think how impossible it would be if the results went back to the late '90s! Anyway, if it made you laugh, all's well. smile
Wakefield RISC OS Club
Wakefield RISC OS Computer Club

[Edited by trevj at 12:45, 3/5/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #120275, posted by qUE at 12:32, 3/5/2012, in reply to message #119870
qUE

China wouldn't be interested in the Raspberry Pi, since they've got access to pretty much most of the ARM SoC device manufacturing. And they've also announce developing their own CPU tech. since they're probably so paranoid western tech. has engineered some low level backdoor in the designs.

I suspect the hits are exploit scanning bots, I get shedloads of them trying stuff here.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Widespread interest in RISC OS in China