User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Totoro! Totoro! Totoro!

Totoro! Totoro! Totoro!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

VinceH Message #96001, posted by VincceH at 22:30, 19/12/2006, in reply to message #95999
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

This FRIDAY at 16:55 - repeat of Only Yesterday (Only if you're feeling particularly girly/soppy/incredibly bored/curious)
Would pished be a good approach? Hmm, OTOH, that's a bit too early to be pished. Probably best to just give it a miss, then. :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96004, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:13, 20/12/2006, in reply to message #96000
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Who are you, the Radio Times? :P
Those aren't radio programmes, so... no :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #96005, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:10, 20/12/2006, in reply to message #96004
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Who are you, the Radio Times? :P
Those aren't radio programmes, so... no :P
X(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96305, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:57, 27/12/2006, in reply to message #95940

Also, from the notbbc forums:

Saturday 30th Dec 17.15 BBC2 "Spirited Away".
Don't forget! It got an Oscar, and everything :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #96306, posted by VincceH at 23:09, 27/12/2006, in reply to message #96305
VincceH

What - one of the puppets from Sesame Street puts in a cameo appearance? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #96307, posted by ilcook at 23:16, 27/12/2006, in reply to message #96306
trainResident idiot

What - one of the puppets from Sesame Street puts in a cameo appearance? :P
Sounds like it's going to be a muppet episode then :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96308, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:16, 27/12/2006, in reply to message #96306

Well, some of them do look like they could be from Sesame Street, and there is a talking frog :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96382, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:06, 30/12/2006, in reply to message #96305

It'll be on SOON, then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96424, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:30, 31/12/2006, in reply to message #96382

Did anyone watch it, then? The dubbed version actually seemed OK. They even called sake sake! But they did also go a bit erbal :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #111701, posted by moss at 05:31, 26/10/2009, in reply to message #96424

I finally watched Spirited Away last night. Subbed version and everything.

It was great smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #111704, posted by swirlythingy at 12:01, 26/10/2009, in reply to message #111701

Thank you, everybody, that was a fascinating thread.

I now know why I don't drink. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #111705, posted by swirlythingy at 12:03, 26/10/2009, in reply to message #95878

whyt isn't that closing quote beiong recognised? its typed right (now)_ !!!
Uh, you do realise you forgot to type the opening quote tag, don't you? wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #111707, posted by andypoole at 14:02, 26/10/2009, in reply to message #111701
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

It was great smile
I second this. I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. I watched the English dub though (It can't go far wrong when you've got John Lasseter overseeing it..). I keep meaning to watch it with subtitles instead (since both are on the DVD), but haven't got round to it yet.

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #111777, posted by moss at 18:02, 3/11/2009, in reply to message #111701

It was great smile
Honestly, I finally get round to watching it, and Phlamethrower isn't even interested!

Rage

...shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111778, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:03, 3/11/2009, in reply to message #111777

tongue

So what are you going to watch next? wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #111780, posted by andypoole at 19:14, 3/11/2009, in reply to message #111778
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

tongue

So what are you going to watch next? wink
What do you suggest, oh wise one? tongue

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111783, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:20, 3/11/2009, in reply to message #111780

What do you suggest, oh wise one? tongue
Well, that depends on what you're interested in tongue

If you want more Ghibli, and you've come from watching Spirited Away, I'd say there are three sub-choices:
  • More "Young girl's fantastical adventure" - My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's delivery service, Laputa: Castle in the Sky (ish - it's a bit more mature than the other two).
  • A more mature fantasy story - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke.
  • Comedy: Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, Porco Rosso
There are of course other good ones that don't fit into the above categories, and other ones that may require you to have more specific tastes (Pom Poko, Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, etc.) so you could always check the list and pick one for yourself tongue

For non-Ghibli anime I can only speak for what I've seen (and only recommend what I've liked tongue). Ghost in the Shell (The two films are seperate from the Stand Alone Complex series/film, so don't expect them to be exact matches in tone and content - but they're all good), (New) Dominion: Tank Police (For simpler, more purile fun), Cowboy Bebop (It may seem a bit slow but it will grow on you over time. Film is fairly standalone but should probably be watched after the series so you understand the characters better), and, erm, that's it. Most anime seems to be dominated by Naruto/Bleach/Pokemon/schoolgirls so it's hard to find anything good to watch unhappy

Oh, and also Akira (Doh!). And if you somehow avoided watching UK TV in the late 80's/early 90's, there's The Mysterious Cities of Gold (Region 2 DVD! How did that happen without me knowing about it? Last I heard the original English masters had been lost, and it was only through worn out home-made VHS recordings (and later on digital copies of those VHS) which had allowed the English version to not vanish forever)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #111784, posted by andypoole at 21:53, 3/11/2009, in reply to message #111783
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

And if you somehow avoided watching UK TV in the late 80's/early 90's, there's The Mysterious Cities of Gold (Region 2 DVD! How did that happen without me knowing about it? Last I heard the original English masters had been lost, and it was only through worn out home-made VHS recordings (and later on digital copies of those VHS) which had allowed the English version to not vanish forever)
Ahh, the Mysterious Cities of Gold. I vividly remember that awesome theme tune. I may have to get that DVD grin

I'll have a look for some of the others at some point.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #111786, posted by filecore at 07:45, 4/11/2009, in reply to message #111783

Ghost in the Shell (The two films are seperate from the Stand Alone Complex series/film, so don't expect them to be exact matches in tone and content - but they're all good)
I found that the second wasn't by far as good as the first, but they're still worth watching.

Cowboy Bebop (It may seem a bit slow but it will grow on you over time. Film is fairly standalone but should probably be watched after the series so you understand the characters better)
This is great. It's kind of the anime equivalent to Firefly. At first you'll hate some fo the characters, but they all have their place and their story, and once their personalities come out, you'll love it to bits. Oh, and the soundtracks rock.

Oh, and also Akira (Doh!)
How can you forget to add The Anime? I can't think of anything to add to this off the top of my head - especially since some on here are clearly much bigger anime fans than I am - but it's certainly enough to be getting started with. I'm not sure I'd recommend the much-touted Neon Genesis Evangelion because it's so weird, but hey, what anime isn't?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #111804, posted by andypoole at 22:33, 5/11/2009, in reply to message #111783
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

My Neighbour Totoro
Just watched this. I quite enjoyed it, although not as much as I enjoyed Spirited Away.

I watched the English dub (mainly because I'm feeling lazy tonight and can't be bothered reading)

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111805, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:19, 5/11/2009, in reply to message #111804

Just watched this.
Hurrah!

I quite enjoyed it
Hurrah!

although not as much as I enjoyed Spirited Away.
Hurrah?

I watched the English dub (mainly because I'm feeling lazy tonight and can't be bothered reading)
Rage (Although, I don't think there's much that they could screw up with an English dub of Totoro, so I'll forgive you this one time)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111806, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:46, 6/11/2009, in reply to message #111805

Oh, and if you're sticking with Ghibli you should clearly watch one of the "epic" ones next - Nausicaa, Laputa, Mononoke. Spirited Away does have quite a lot going on, but it doesn't have the scale or magnificence of those three I just mentioned. I'll even let you watch the English dub of Laputa! tongue (Although the one voicing Sheeta doesn't do a particularly good job)

IMO the English dub of Mononoke should be avoided. I'm not sure about Nausicaa though, since I haven't really paid attention to the English version. Although you should probably avoid it on principal for the utter abomination that was the original "Warriors of the wind" release Pukey
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #111807, posted by tlsa at 10:56, 6/11/2009, in reply to message #111806

I liked Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa. I thought Spirited Away was a bit basic and boring, so I didn't really like that one. I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle much more. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #111808, posted by flibble at 12:00, 6/11/2009, in reply to message #111807
flibble

I liked Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa. I thought Spirited Away was a bit basic and boring, so I didn't really like that one. I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle much more. smile
I think my faves are Spirited Away and Porco Rosso, Mononoke is really probably the only one I'm not that keen on. But all the others, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausica, Laputa Castle in the Sky, are very good.

Castle of Cagliostro is awesome, but not a Miyazaki film in the trad sense, it's characters having already been in a successful TV series and previous film.

I can also recommend Patlabor films (1+2) which are near-future semi realistic Big-Robot show (the robots are used for construction mainly).

I've a huge stack of Anime that I could recommend or not, but there's pretty much every genre imaginable out there, it's really up to the viewer big grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111812, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:32, 7/11/2009, in reply to message #111807

It's obviously one of the more visually impressive ones, but Howl's Moving Castle's story is just a bit too odd/quirky for me. Every few minutes they seem to add something new, so it's impossible to get a feeling for what's going on and whether they're actually in danger or not.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #112270, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:44, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #111812

Laputa is on Film4 at 16:05 this tuesday, if anyone is interested.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112271, posted by VincceH at 15:24, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112270
VincceH

Is this another one where alcohol helps?

I note that two of those involved in the dubbing into English are Mark Hammill and Anna Paquin. I think there's probably a potential Star Wars crossover drinking game, there.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #112273, posted by pnaulls at 16:25, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112271

I note that two of those involved in the dubbing into English are Mark Hammill and Anna Paquin. I think there's probably a potential Star Wars crossover drinking game, there.
I'm missing something; what is Paquin's connection to Star Wars?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112277, posted by VincceH at 17:48, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112273
VincceH

I'm missing something; what is Paquin's connection to Star Wars?
Her connection to Star Wars is that she was in a completely different series of popcorn scifi films altogether and I misremembered. blush

So that's a Star Wars / X Men drinking game, then. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #112280, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:13, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112271

No, but feel free to try it and get back to us with your results wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Totoro! Totoro! Totoro!