Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
Related articles
- Rounding Up February
- Firefox port updated
- BBC Domesday online
- Iconbar in update shocker!
- Catch Up
- April Fool Roundup
- Not in any way related to copyright
- New telnet client, browser (updated)
- NetSurf 1.0 and GTK+ port
- Your Early February Catch-up Linkfest
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: Lack of appreciation threatens porting projects

Lack of appreciation threatens porting projects

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 11:18, 23/1/2002 | , , , ,

After a discussion about OpenSSH got nasty on a newsgroup, Peter Naulls has decided to take down his Unix ports page at http://www.chocky.org/unix/. He says:
This has been removed. I'm currently fed up with the incredible negativity of the RISC OS userbase. Maybe it'll come back, maybe not.

If you want to help RISC OS in any way, then buck up your attitude and stop whinging.
Peter and friends have been responsible for working on many libraries and tools which enable them to port Unix programs in a very short space of time. This means that a program or tool that didn't previously exist under RISC OS can be up and running in as little as half an hour.

Although in the past I couldn't get myself worked up about the text-only browser Lynx, Peter and co. have brought us a number of useful programs, not least of which is the Nettle telnet client from which to run the other utilities. I've been waiting for a proper SSH client, something stable, easy to use, and ideally that includes SSH2 - OpenSSH does all that. As well as Peter's programs which are now no longer available his work was enabling other ports such as email clients, text editors and who knows what else.

I haven't read the arguments on the newsgroups, because frankly I got sick of the bickering a long time ago. So, I'm not saying Peter has a right to get away with murder because of what he produces, but frankly he's out there actually getting off his arse doing something useful, and as usual the nay-sayers - often people who do a lot of talking and don't actually produce anything useful themselves - are putting valuable work in jeopardy.

I wish Peter all the best in whatever he decides, and hope that at least the readers of TIB will show him the support that he deserves.

Lack of appreciation threatens porting projects
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Guest Message #89917, posted at 15:20, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89916
Unregistered user Corn. On the cob. :D
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89918, posted at 15:21, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89917
Unregistered user Jason - what have you been doing to make yourself blind?! ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #89919, posted at 15:29, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89918
Unregistered user Well, those phosphorus sunglasses smarted a bit ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #89920, posted at 15:31, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89919
Unregistered user d\p_p/d "Smoke gets in your eyes..." p_p/d\p

You can never find a music font when you need one ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #89921, posted at 15:34, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89920
Unregistered user I blame g0tai, that's all there is to it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #89922, posted at 15:38, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89921
Unregistered user What for?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #89923, posted at 15:45, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89922
Unregistered user For the earlier "curry" comment for starters, and for whatever else we can pin on him. It's always his fault.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

g0tai Message #89924, posted at 17:04, 24/1/2002, in reply to message #89923
Unregistered user It's nice to be liked so much, oh yes. f33r.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guy Inchbald Message #89925, posted at 20:43, 25/1/2002, in reply to message #89924
Unregistered user Peter,
an engineer's saying:
"nil illegitimi carborundum"
(don't let the b*st*rds grind you down)
some of us are quitely inspired by your work
and sorely miss its output.
Dare I look forward to its reinstatement?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89926, posted at 02:16, 29/1/2002, in reply to message #89925
Unregistered user The comments made in csan weren't quite as bad as it seems to be put out, but the general attitude of people is as if Nettle was a commercial product. Nobody seems to have grasped that Peter et all were doing it just to support the RISC OS scene.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89927, posted at 12:25, 31/1/2002, in reply to message #89926
Unregistered user Acorn need to develop different platforms of sound, games, DTP, training with NGfL, shops etc., its the best system in the world. BUT no 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' etc.,
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: Lack of appreciation threatens porting projects